CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Battle of the "Buts"

Everyone around seems to be fighting off something this winter. Flu, strept throat, bronchitis. Not me. No, I've been battling a serious case of the "buts". You know those insidious thoughts that stir up discontentment and dissension in your spirit. Symptoms include consuming thoughts such as "a new kitchen table is nice but wouldn't new counter tops be even better." Or..."Sure, I have a car that runs fine but I really want a new one." Oh, better yet, I deserve a new one. (What a bunch of bunk!). The most caustic variety of the buts are those that focus on people rather than things. (To protect the innocent, I won't elaborate!) Symptoms also include increased moodiness, constant complaining, and bouts of irresponsible spending. The buts are not fatal (unless your husband kills you) and there is a cure. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the cure is not more stuff but rather in your walk with God.

I know this in my head but my heart and actions are sometimes slow to catch on. Maybe one day I'll be immune to the buts. Until then I need only to remember that I am blessed beyond measure. I will focus on what I have instead of what I lack. I will voice praise rather than pity. I will focus on others and not myself. (Ok, and I'll quit spending money that I don't have!)

Simply stated...It's time to get over it!

Stacie

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

But Stacie.....

Anonymous said...

Stacie,

Your truely amazing. I hope you get published soon. You have such great thoughts that are so simply, but profoundly said. You could write for daily bread. I'm so glad to spend time with you. I love how you foucus on the matter and not all the fluff. You get right to the point. I get a little fluffy chasing that rabbit around. We are all so glad your a part of our Thursday group. You make a big difference being there sharing your wonderful revelations that God has laid on your heart. We all need each other on this journey God calls us to that's for sure.

Love ya,
Pam